Monday, July 28, 2008

Imperium 10 - Final Notes

My glorious starfleet, as it appeared in 2441:



You can see that Warp 3 starships now (just) make up the majority of our fleet, though we learned the technology in time for only the last ten turns of the game. The colony ship bound for Thrax is also visible here. I never built a huge ship throughout the game; with our ships moving at a virtual crawl throughout the game and wars on isolated, distant fronts, it made more sense to go with several larges than a single huge for almost every conceivable circumstance, and our technological superiority (Average difficulty helps wth this as does the hopeless land surrounding Psilon space) rendered anything larger unnecessary. In hindsight though, a Large bomber design with autorepair would probably have saved a lot of time - getting ships to the front at Warp 1 and Warp 2 was a pain, and low tactical speed meant lots of attrition on every bombing run. They wouldn't have been much good against the Klackons' Stinger bases in the late game, but that's when the Basilisks finally showed up anyway, with (finally!) actual speed.

My technology as of 2441:



The amount of research being done is somewhat misleading, as I hadn't been teching at this rate (more like ~1/10th of this speed) in many years; colonies away from the front had been switching projects to factories and reserves or research for the past few turns as it became impossible to imagine them contributing to the war effort before it was already over, but almost every world had been building ships or troops for most of the latter part of the game. It also of course is missing the tech we stole from the Klackons at Lyae on the final interturn; while I don't know for sure what that was, I can make a pretty good guess:



Though this report is 8 years old (I stopped spying as soon as I - finally - got Sublight Engines) the bugs haven't had the resources to tech much in that time, and I was able to confirm that it was up to date by loading the final save, increasing my spy rate, and retreating my fleets from the battles in the interturn. I found that, indeed, Battle Computer 3, Mass Driver, and Stinger Missiles were the only techs the bugs had on me, and Lyae (which I captured intact on the final interturn)...



...had 258 factories! This is no guarantee of anything, and I did have some pretty bad tech-nabbing luck in this game, but I calculate the odds that I'd pull all three Klackon techs in this case at roughly 89% (there's actually slightly better than one chance in 200 - admittedly very long odds indeed - of not pulling any tech from all those factories, though in this case we know that didn't actually happen). Okay, granted, working that out was a pretty pointless exercise ... but it was still a good excuse to show a couple extra screenshots!

Finally, here's the galaxy as it would have looked in 2442 if you could continue a game beyond its completion. The map key should be self-explanatory.



I hope you enjoyed my report and had as much fun as I did with the game! I'm off to sleep now (way too late - those images took far too long to load with my dialup connection) but I'll hopefully get to comment on everyone else's reports tomorrow ... and have a first look at Imperium 11!

_______________

Back to the Front Page