Monday, September 22, 2008

Imperium 12 - Cashing In

Turn Set 6: Commerce Minister Refinance ATM

I hate how he said he got the boring years as if a) they're not over yet, and b) he'd rather have exciting ones! What am I supposed to do if the bugs declare on me? I guess ignore them and build a base that's immune to their lasers if they send a fleet ... but still! And what happens if a plague hits Meklon or a computer virus hits construction? Refrens is complaining about boring?! Give me a break! And while you're at it, please give me some more boring years, please, thank you!

Okay, now for a look around the empire. We've got ... more than half our immature colonies doing research instead of building factories? Research emphasis in propulsion? What are we going to use that for? Does Refrens honestly believe there are any habitable stars left uncolonized in the galaxy, never mind within ten parsecs of our little corner - and that there will be still by the time we develop dotomite crystals and get ships to them? He was asleep at the wheel in more ways than one! Not much I can do in ten years, but I'd better get started on repairing things!

2373: Refrens shows up in my office with his emotional response indicator LEDs off, so I can't tell if he's shame-faced about his mistakes or miffed that I changed things around. He has good news though: We've got Hyper-V rockets ready to install in our missile bases, as soon as our planets can actually build any! All kinds of options to move forward, but I choose Neutron Pellet Gun rather than Ion Cannons or a slightly more advanced rocket. I'm starting to slide down the same slippery slope toward too much research that my predecessor did, but at least I'm doing it for the right reasons: We need reduced waste technology as soon as possible, if not sooner!

2376: The Blue Desert of Berel is our second fully-mature world (mainly because it's so tiny, it can't help finishing its factories!) and Kakata's unemployment is below 50%!

2377: Refrens eBook is back, with all his LEDs in working order!



Apparently, a few years in the lab have been good for him! He jubilantly reports that we've improved our robotic controls by 25%, and can now increase our commerce at Meklon and Berel once more! And though there's something to be said for a better combat computer, it's not going to be said by me - leave that to Admiral Refpect ForceTran! - so we're off to work on an Improved Space Scanner! I can just see our Intelligence Minister beaming.

2379: Well, speak of the devil! What is it, Refcon? You say the bugs have a newish fighter design at Kholdan, probably with Stabilizers? The Sabre, you say? And they now also have a large Ranger there? Well ... is there a reason I should care? No, no, please don't weep; I just haven't been paying any attention to the Klackons except to watch our charming little trade agreement continue to profit (barely). I'm sure your scouting report is very interesting and ... uh ... useful. I'll try real hard to care. And hey, did you know we're working on an Improved Scanner? Yay!!! I thought that would cheer you up! Good day!

Bah! What am I running here, an empire or a counseling center? Refrens can feel free to finish my waste reduction whenever he's ready, by the way.

2380: The crowning achievement of my reign:



Hey, it may not look like much, but considering what I inherited, I'd say 600 factories between Meklon and Berel is something to crow about! Besides, there's more good news! Refrofit will be glad to hear that - in spite of the jobs lost to automation with our new factory controls - Kakata is under 40% unemployment, and unemployment in the empire at large is under 50%, finally! Foreign Minister Refriendto AIliens will surely be pleased with our amiable friends and their NAP, in spite of the fact they could turn on us at any moment, and everyone (who's in his right mind at least!) should be pleased to hear our much-needed reduced waste technology is primed to complete in the next few years! Let's hear someone complain about this!

_______________


Next: Un-Be-Lievable!