Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Imperium 11 - The Great Reckoning

As the years of closest alignment come to an end, I wonder if there is anything more to the Triad than superstition after all. Maalor, Orion, and Rha will be further apart than before by an insignificant fraction of a parsec, and their alignment will be less perfect, but what effect can this have on the galaxy? There must be something behind the legend of the triad, which like that of Artemis and Orion is common to all the civilizations of the galaxy, but what kernel of truth lies at the heart of this story, as the Humans' crimes at Orion and their defeat at the hands of Artemis and her Guardian lay at the heart of the other? Is it only the bare astronomical fact of alignment? I may never know. Sometimes, technological development is easier than discerning history.



My new Plasma rifles should render my already-overwhelming advantage in planetary invasions completely insurmountable, though I hope I shall never again have to invade anyone, and that no one shall ever again try to invade me. A scaled-up, concentrated version might also be possible, and though I anticipate no more fighting, I begin work on a Mauler Device for purely intellecutal reasons.

The Human bioterrorists no longer receive a nomination at the galactic high council; my nominal opponent is Zygot of the Psilons, and though his people's five votes go to him for form's sake, everyone else votes for me. For the second time, I am offered rulership of the galaxy by unanimous acclaim, and for the second time - this time with 28 votes of my own, more than enough to vote myself into office even if I were unanimously opposed instead - I refrain from accepting the post. I am concerned about the propriety of the very question of galactic rule - it stinks of a Human-style hierarchy - and I admit I remain concerned with the Triad, whether for wise or superstitious reasons. I would like to rule the galaxy with the declared support of the Psilons of Rha and Nexus of Orion as well as the other leaders of the galaxy, and with Zygot declared as my election opponent and Nexus still not permitted a vote, I know I have failed to unite the Triad in the year of the Great Reckoning. Yet I have awakened it, and I remain hopeful as I abstain from the voting.



My only dread is that Zygot or Monch will take this opportunity to demand my help in their wars against the now-helpless Silicoids or Humans. Thankfully, they refrain. I can only hope those wars end soon, or simply go unprosecuted. Neither Sedimin nor Lasitus can do any further harm, and their surviving people are no more deserving of death than anyone else in the galaxy. It is my hope that I may yet unite the galaxy's living people, though I could not unite the Triad in its appointed time.

_______________

2450 Scoring | The Story Continues