Monday, May 18, 2009

Imperium 19 - Scoring

Base score:




I've no idea what's up with the waste display; obviously, there was actually as much waste on each world as it could contain. Note the base counts too, by the way. Rotan and ultra-rich Reticuli were in a nebula, and I wasn't taking any chances with Orion or my other URs either. Even the Ultra-Poor worlds got in on the action. I didn't feel like dealing with attacks, and if someone did attack me, I wanted to just hit Auto and not worry. Besides, what else was I going to do with the BC? That leftover multi-million BC reserve is not a typo. But hey, 3,000 of it came from a merchant! Anyway...

84 colonies x 50 = 4,200 points
14 worlds with at least 220 population apiece x 25 = 350 points



2 races (Sakkra and Klackons, thanks to last-minute heaping portions of tech gift cheese) at or above Relaxed Relations x 25 = 50 points



(Yes, I'm still pouring over 100,000 RP into tech each turn even with no possibility of actually achieving anything.)



Note that the last tech on each list, not highlighted, is blue, not red. After researching those techs, the first ones to become available after hitting tech level 99 in the field, the game wouldn't give me an option to select another tech in the field. Those techs are complete, and I haven't been able to research anything for something like 150 years. So....

(9 in computers + 10 in construction + 10 in force fields + 10 in planetology + 9 in propulsion + 7 in weapons comes to...) 55 advanced techs x 5 = 275 points

Total base score: 4,200 + 350 + 50 + 275 = 4,875

Scoring multipier:
Qualifying Blood Enemy - the Humans: +0%
No invasions or attacks except against my Blood Enemy, at neutral worlds, and at worlds where I then or previously had a colony - i.e. rightfully MY worlds: -0%
3 rivals left at game's end - Alkari eliminated: -5%
Blood Enemy eliminated: -0%
Conquest Victory in 2800: -0%

Total multiplier: -5%

Total score: 4,875 x 0.95 = 4,631.25


Ways I could have improved my score:
1) The single most important thing would have been to save the Alkari, by some combination of tech gifts and "Hey, it's MY world, I can do what I want here!" cheese at Imra (worst case would be just parking a death fleet in orbit, and killing anything that came into orbit, but never bombing the colony except with the minimum force necessary to take out missile bases on the combat screen). I didn't think of the former in time though, and the latter just wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the rules - when I did attack at Imra, it was a legitimate conquest of a world that had once been mine. If I'd fought off Sakkra fleets over it as an Alkari world without ever bombarding it or sending troops, that would hardly count as conquest of a world that's rightfully my own!
2) I didn't abuse spying nearly as much as I could have; I could have spent massively to spy and frame various targets in hopes of fomenting war and slipping in to snag Imra-style colonies. For that matter, I could have taken advantage of existing wars better, perhaps letting the humans take worlds of mine as stepping stones to other races' (and to make into Gaias) to allow me to conquer more of the galaxy. Also/alternatively, gift range tech to races that might glass each others' worlds for those Imra-style colonies, etc. All told, severe use of these options might have been even more powerful than keeping the Alkari alive, in terms of score.

Anything on the menus from options 1 and 2 would have made the game take longer though (In real time!) apart from donating tech to the birds, which I just didn't think of in time. So, forget those!

3) Get scout blockades out faster. I played a gambit in this huge galaxy, waiting way too long to build a real scout fleet, and lost at least one world to the Sakkra as a result. That's 47.5 points right there.
4) Manage Psilon relations better (or get lucky) so they don't declare war at the last minute and wind up with their diplomat gone by the last turn. I could probably have gotten them up to relaxed or better the way I cheesily did with the other two races, but for less than 24 points ... meh.
5) Less espionage (prefer sabotage from the beginning if I spy at all) and no tech trading except for stuff in my tree. This might have netted me a few points at the end by allowing me to research another level of advanced tech in one or two fields. Like, four and three quarters points times maybe two or three. Maybe.
6) By choosing pop growth for pop-poor Silis (figuring a red star will have a larger planet than a white one) over coreward settling, or by conservatively waiting for scout reports before sending my colony ship, colonize Phantos first instead of Rayden, speeding the growth curve for my entire empire. It'll be interesting to see how others did if they chose such a strategy!

_______________

Back to the Front Page